Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dell PowerEdge: T310 failed to install Windows Small Business Server 2008

Last week, one customer from Singapore called up and blame Dell Server again. According to this customer, he said Dell had posted up a false info over the internet. This is because he failed to install Windows Small Business Server 2008 to Dell PowerEdge T310, and documentation written that this OS is actually supported on this platform.

This customer had done a lot of research before ring me up, and wanted to send me the T310 documentation link to prove he is right.

I knew he was right, so I check his server's hardware specification, found that he only having 2GB RAM for this server. At first I really didn't know what's wrong with this, inform customer that I will need to call 1 hour later, and I google for more info about this.

I'm lucky enough to remind myself that one of my colleague share this info before. Then I read through the article, confirm this is the answer that I can share with this demanding customer.

Cause:
He didn't meet one of the minimum requirement of having at least 4GB to complete the OS installation.

Plan to switch to Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard/Premium? Please refers to below minimum requirements.


For more information, please visit Microsoft site as below:

3 comments:

(e+ho)ng said...

Eh? I've only been away from this blog for a few weeks and it suddenly become a Dell technical support blog? :O

~~詠鉌の物語~~ said...

hehe..I wanna move this to my personal site soon.
So that more space to categorize those technical sharing & photography

(e+ho)ng said...

Personal site? What personal site? :O

Hmm... don't you think that 9 hours of technical issues are more than enough in your daily life? :D