Friday, April 16, 2010

Dell PowerEdge: Why R410 only 4 DIMM slots are usable?

Many customers didn't really know what to ask before confirm the order, but rather accept what Sales person had suggest to them.

No one is wrong in this situation but I just share it out for those who like to research before buy the product.

I would like to share about Dell PowerEdge R410's Memory Configuration.

Two days ago, I received one inquiry from a customer.

Problem:
He bought R410 with 2x 2GB DIMM. After that, he purchase 4x 2GB DIMM from another sales. After he connect all the DIMMs, found that system BIOS only detect 8GB, in other words, only 4 slots are working.

Then he is blaming me why the new server (just arrive for less than 7 days) already having hardware issue. I check the correct memory population, and take a look at the hardware component that he order, then I know the answer.

Cause:
This is due to customer only purchase with 1x Processor. This is why only 4 slots are working.

Workaround:
I suggest him to keep the DIMMs for standby purpose, or consider to add in another processor to get all slots detected.

0 comments: